Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

25 March 2017

Big bird


Last Sunday, Pat and I went for a walk in Monument Valley Park. The sun had already dipped below the mountains, so it was nearly twilight but still very warm. As we were walking we came across this enormous hawk sitting on the chain link fence above the creek. He watched us while we watched him. I wasn't exactly toting a wildlife-worthy lens, but he let us get close enough to grab a few decent pictures. He was huge! Eventually he took wing and drifted down toward the water. As we walked on, Pat spotted him again, this time on the bank of the creek. I couldn't figure out what he was doing down there -- to me it looked like he was wrestling with a big stick -- but Pat correctly guessed that he was eating a snake. A SNAKE. Yikes! Well I certainly wasn't expecting to see a huge bird murdering a huge snake when I told Pat I wanted to go for a walk. I have to say, anything that willingly eats a live snake has got my respect!
If you look closely, you can see that he's got a big snake pinned under his foot.
Yup, definitely a snake! (P.S. It seems awfully early in the year for snakes. I guess the warm weather lured this one out prematurely.)

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Looks like a peregrine to me.